The number of automobiles on the road in the United States has grown exponentially over the past several decades, increasing the number of accidents. The National Highway Traffic Safety Association (NHTSA) reports that there were 36,096 fatalities in motor vehicle traffic crashes in 2019. Accidents can occur for a number of reasons, such as violating traffic rules and poorly maintained vehicles. Other common causes are drinking and driving, distracted driving, fatigue, and poor weather conditions.
Here are some types of automobile accidents that commonly occur throughout the United States.
- Car Accident
Passenger car accidents are common in this country. Passenger cars are the best transportation system for commuting to work or for other daily purposes. Not everyone lives close to public transportation. All registered drivers are subject to the same traffic rules while driving.
Some people disregard traffic rules, which leads to crashes. Reckless driving, drinking and driving, and speeding are common problems that cause accidents.
Car wrecks are one of the leading causes of fatalities. Drivers are not the only ones at risk. A total of 22,416 passenger vehicle occupants died in 2019. Passengers are at equal risk of injury and death in car crashes. Crashes can be caused by any number of things, but one of the most common causes of avoidable accidents is negligence.
Failure to obey car seat belt and traffic laws is a major cause of motor vehicle accidents
According to car accident statistics, a substantial number of accidents occur every year because other drivers violate traffic laws. In 2017, approximately 795 children ages twelve and younger lost their lives as occupants in motor vehicle crashes in the United States. Nearly 35 percent of all children who died in crashes were not properly restrained by seat belt or car seat.
We cannot overemphasize the importance of car seat and seat belt rules. Now more than ever, strict penalties are taken against individuals who neglect to wear a seat belt when one is required by law. This is because car seat belts are considered one of the best ways to protect yourself in a motor vehicle accident..
Car Seat Laws have prevented severe injuries and death in accidents. Globally, most countries implemented rules of some kind for the proper use of seat belts and car seats. There are many reasons why something as simple as the seat belt has helped to save so many lives. Here are some of them!
- It is possible for passengers in vehicles to be ejected from a vehicle when an accident occurs. Passengers who are unbuckled can be ejected much easier from the front, the rear, or even the side windows. This can result in death.
- People in car accidents can be violently thrown about within the car seat. Sensitive parts of the body like the forehead, eyes, nose, or throat are exposed to injuries. The use of a seat belt helps the driver and passengers remain secure in their seats, reducing significant exposure to bone-breaking injuries.
- The passenger seated next to the driver must be buckled with a seat belt
- The seat belt adjustment mechanism should not be damaged. One must use seat belts correctly.
- In most cases, a rear-facing car seat is recommended until the age of two or older. Consult a pediatrician for a recommendation specific to your child.
- As children grow, they can then move from a rear-facing seat to a forward-facing car seat.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommend that when children outgrow a rear-facing car seat, they can be buckled in a forward-facing car seat, in the back seat, until they reach the weight or height limit of the car seat.
The car seat manual or labels on the car seat should list the weight and height limits. Use a booster seat until seat belts fit properly after the child has outgrown the forward-facing car seat.
- Truck Accidents
Trucks and 18 wheelers mostly use highways, but they still cause or are involved in a significant number of vehicle accidents each year. Large commercial 18-wheeler accidents can cause extreme injuries, damage, and death at a higher rate than accidents with smaller vehicles.
When someone is involved in a truck accident, they should seek emergency medical help immediately. The injuries can be severe, requiring many months of medical treatment and lost income. Many people suffer massive financial damage. The first things to do after being involved in a truck accident is call the police, seek medical help, and consult an attorney.
- Bike accidents
Bike accidents are likely to happen now and then for various reasons. Many motorcyclists experience tragic accidents because other drivers fail to follow traffic rules.
Accidents take many people’s lives every year. Therefore, it is always better to drive carefully, obey traffic rules, and know what to do if you are ever in an accident.
What if someone loses his life in a road accident?
Accidents and injuries are inevitable. They can be caused by any reason, anytime, anywhere. Injuries resulting from accidents can create a lot of physical and emotional turmoil at the same time.
It can be even more troublesome when the accident was caused by somebody else’s negligent or careless acts. When someone loses a loved one due to someone else’s negligence, they have the right to file a wrongful death action against the responsible person or people.
A large number of wrongful deaths take place every year
According to the CDC, the main reason for wrongful deaths today is medical malpractice. Nearly 90,000 people lose their lives due to medical malpractice each year. This number is higher than any other cause of wrongful death. The next leading cause of wrongful deaths is road accidents.
Road accidents are common. A large percentage of people experience injuries and even fatalities. Even if you have been in an accident that caused something as minor as a road rash injury, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. When someone else’s act, or failure to act, causes the death of a loved one who provided financial support, it is termed a wrongful death. In addition, there are also workplace fatalities, traumatic brain injury fatalities, and more.
Possible scenarios you may face
There are many scenarios where the death of someone can be categorized as a wrongful death. Consider discussing the accident details with a legal professional, especially if you experience any pain and suffering due to the accident. You may be able to recover compensation for your personal injuries even if you are partially at fault. Take a look at some inconveniences you may face:
- Medical malpractice – This is when a medical or health care professional deviates from standards in their profession through a negligent act or omission. The negligent act, or failure to act, then causes injury to a patient. The negligent act might be in the form of errors in diagnosis, treatment, or health management.
- Vehicle collisions – The U.S. faces more than a hundred fatalities each day due to vehicle accidents. This is when a vehicle crashes into another vehicle, pedestrian, animal, road debris, or object, like a tree, pole or building.
- Workplace accidents – Also known as a workplace accident, occupational accident, or accident at work is a distinct instance within the time, place, and conditions of employment under which a physical or mental occupational injury occurs. Construction sites are some of the most unsafe places where accidents occur. Some accidents are fatal. This is mainly due to a lack of safety precautions or carelessness of the employer.
- Using defective products – This is yet again another scenario where people have faced fatalities. This is when any characteristic of a product hinders its usability for the purpose for which it was designed and manufactured, and that hindrance contributes to bodily injury and economic harm.
How to know your eligibility to file a claim?
A wrongful death claim can arise after situations in which a victim who would otherwise have a valid personal injury claim is killed due to the defendant’s wrongful action. It can occur in a variety of situations, including:
- When a victim is killed intentionally in a dispute
- A patient dies due to medical malpractice. This happens when a health professional has failed to diagnose a life-threatening condition or has been careless about the patient’s care.
- Another situation is when a motor vehicle accident is caused by somebody else’s negligence or recklessness. When someone dies in a vehicle accident, then a wrongful death can be claimed.
Can professional legal representation help in such scenarios?
Medical and financial conditions may break down after an accident. You may not know what to do next. It is the attorney’s job to stand by you through difficult situations like this and represent your interests. Their main objectives are as follows:
- They will ensure that your medical and financial interests are well represented.
- They will negotiate with insurance companies to ensure you receive a fair settlement that covers all your damages.
- Personal injury cases and automobile accident cases are complex. Laymen may not understand complex law and legal procedure. They may not have the time to conduct proper legal research and investigate evidence. An experienced attorney can guide us and help us throughout the process.
- You could be falsely accused of causing an accident and the death of someone else. Without proper evidence and support, we can lose our case, and the guilty party may get away with their crime. You could lose both the criminal and civil case at the same time without the representation of a competent attorney.
A wrongful death claim is generally filed by an eligible family member of the victim who is deceased. These claims are made on behalf of the survivors who may be entitled to certain damages.
Dealing with a wrongful death lawsuit can be complicated sometimes. It would be even more complicated if your claim is against a powerful organization or multiple parties.
Contact a Philadelphia Personal Injury Lawyer to stand on your side and fight for your rights. To know more, contact The Law Offices of Samuel Fishman. You will receive extensive legal assistance for your personal injury and wrongful death actions.