If you have ever faced an injury or other types of damage or loss due to a slip and fall accident in Philadelphia, consult a slip and fall lawyer at The Law Offices of Samuel Fishman. You can call (215) 464-4600 to schedule a free case evaluation from one of our legal professionals and know your legal rights.
People who suffer slip and fall accidents may not even realize that they have been injured. Sometimes it can take a while before problems directly attributable to the accident become apparent.
However, if there has been an obvious injury like a neck injury, fractured arm, or major cut or bruise, victims may have a personal injury case. If the property was not properly marked or managed, victims could benefit from contacting a Philadelphia slip and fall lawyer immediately.
According to Slip and Fall Accident Statistics from the National Safety Council Analysis of National Center for Health Statistics, slip and fall accidents are one of the most common accidental deaths in Pennsylvania.
According to data published by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), in 2017 around 381 slip and fall accident-related deaths happened on construction sites, but this data is limited to slip and fall cases on construction sites.
These types of accidents can occur anywhere. Pennsylvania law allows slip and fall victims with severe injuries and losses caused by another’s negligence, carelessness, or recklessness to seek compensation through a personal injury lawsuit.
Personal injury attorneys can help clients pursue compensation for any and all damages, including but not limited to lost wages, pain and suffering, medical expenses, and other damages.
Slips, Trips and Falls Can Happen Anywhere
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), almost seven people will die every hour in slip and fall accidents in the United States. The CDC states that almost 20%, or one in five slip, trip and fall accidents lead to fatal injuries. You can read more details on CDC Injury Center.
Most people think of construction sites or retail stores when they think of slip and fall injuries, but these accidents happen everywhere. They occur in homes, in churches, in government buildings, on public sidewalks, or anywhere else.
All property owners must maintain their business or residence in a manner that does not jeopardize the safety of lawful visitors. Owners have to keep their premises dry and uncluttered by debris. If a floor has been recently mopped or if snow has created a slippery surface, it must be marked or managed so that people are aware of the possible danger.
This also applies to landlords of rental properties, business owners, homeowners, and government agencies. Spills should be cleaned in a reasonable amount of time and stairways should be properly lit at night. Any irregularities in sidewalks, including holes, cracks, or uneven areas, should be fixed to mitigate the danger of an accidental slip or trip.
Many landlords and business owners fail to maintain their premises appropriately. If you were injured due to the negligence of a property owner, you may have a personal injury case. You can consult an experienced, capable Philadelphia slip and fall lawyer who can prove premises liability and help you recover compensation for your injuries and other losses.
Common Injuries in Slip and Fall Cases
These types of accidents are common and occur very frequently. Slip and fall accidents lead to different minor and major injuries. Many people are left with serious and critical injuries after the mishap. Falls can even lead to brain injuries, fractures, and broken bones. These accidents can lead to different types of injuries. Some of the more common injuries include the following:
- Broken bones and fractures – wrist fractures, ankle fractures, and hip fractures are some of the most common types of musculoskeletal injuries
- Knee damage, such as meniscus tears or sprains
- Muscle strains
- Shoulder dislocations
- Spine and nerve damage
- Soft tissue injuries
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and its residual effects
- Cuts and bruises
- Back injury, spinal cord damage, and neurological conditions
All of these injuries could be critical and may affect the quality of life of the individual. Therefore, it is important to get immediate medical attention to determine the severity of any injuries. These medical records will help in assessing the damage caused by the accident so that an injury lawyer can help you get the appropriate amount of damages for your losses.
If you have been involved in an accident, you have a right to take necessary action to file a slip and fall lawsuit. You can receive compensation for various damages, such as medical bills, lost wages, property damages, and pain and suffering.
You should consider taking legal action against the property owner. Whether the incident occurred on a residential or commercial property, you have legal options. If an owner fails their legal duty to maintain safe premises, they are likely negligent and owe you money for pain, suffering, medical treatment, and other damages. Contact an experienced attorney for superior representation and legal assistance.
How to Prevent Slips, Trips, and Falls
Slip and falls can lead to major injuries. They may occur unexpectedly but these dangerous accidents can be prevented with proper care and maintenance. Frequently, people who suffer falls may not even realize that they have been injured until some time after the accident occurred.
Sometimes, it can take a while before problems directly attributable to the accident become apparent. If there has been an obvious injury like a fractured arm, major cut, or bruise, victims may have a personal injury case. If dangerous or hazardous conditions were not adequately marked or managed, victims could benefit from contacting a personal injury lawyer.
Attorneys can help clients pursue compensation for damages including, but not limited to, lost wages, pain and suffering, medical expenses, and property damage.
Here are some important ways to prevent against experiencing a slip and fall accident:
- Wear the right footwear– Sometimes wearing the wrong footwear can also lead to hazardous accidents. Therefore, it is important to wear the correct footwear for the circumstances to prevent slip and fall accidents.
- Pay attention to the floor– Pay attention to whether the floor is wet or uneven or if there is a warning sign posted. It is important to remain aware of your surroundings when walking about. If there has been a sign posted but you did not see it because you were not paying attention, you may be found partially or completely responsible for your injuries. Partial liability may affect the amount of compensation you are entitled to. Therefore, it is important to remain aware of your surroundings to avoid these injuries.
- Lighting and signage– At times, signage may not be visible because of poor lighting or poor lighting itself creates hazardous conditions. If you are unable to safely navigate your surroundings because of poor lighting, you could turn on your mobile phone flashlight to be extra cautious. Or you can ask property owners to fix the lighting.
- Floor conditions and stairways– If the stairways do not have handrails, you should remain extra cautious while using them. Do not run or move about recklessly. Move at a pace where you can safely check if there are unsafe objects and obstacles on the floor. These can lead to unwanted injuries and can be easily prevented.
As a property owner, you have a duty to prevent accidents by properly maintaining your property and removing unsafe conditions. Here are some easy ways for property owners to prevent slips and falls:
- Practice good housekeeping– Housekeeping and safety go hand in hand. If you are a property owner, you should ensure that the floor is clean and free from objects and other dangers. If you own a commercial properly, it is important to have a housekeeping plan and manage employees to ensure that the floor remains clean, dry, and free from unsafe clutter.
- Maintain proper lighting– Ensure that there is adequate lighting in all common areas where guests and invitees are expected to travel. Everything should be visible. This will help prevent hazardous situations and will save you from personal injury lawsuits.
- Check the condition of the stairs– Stairs should have handrails, and there should not be any unsafe obstacles on the stairs. Stairs should be free from loose nails, floor boards, unkempt carpet, and other hazards which could cause someone to trip and fall. Falling from a stairway is a surefire way to cause significant injury.
- Signage – Ensure that the proper safety and warned signage are used. If the floor is wet, or there are other dangers such as cracked pavement, there should be signage warning people away from the hazard. Whether in a private home or a business, property owners should take preventative measures to avoid these accidents.
- Instruct Staff and Guards– Make sure that you ask your staff to take the necessary precautions and maintain a healthy and clean environment for guests or customers. A well trained and prepared staff can go a long way toward preventing accidents, injuries to others, and avoiding expensive lawsuits.
Some injuries may take days or weeks before fully realizing their significance. While personal injury lawsuits are subject to statutes of limitations, if you suffered an accident due to someone else’s fault, you may still have a case even if time has passed since the accident occurred. Ask yourself, “is it time to contact a slip and fall lawyer near me?” A lawyer will help assess your case and help you to determine your options.
Slip and fall accidents settlement amount varies from case to case. Slip and falls can result in permanent disabilities, constant pain, loss of income, a reduced ability to work, and a general reduction in your quality of life.
If you have faced an injury at the workplace, applying for workers compensation can also help, although the amount of compensation will be limited to covering specific costs like medical care and lost wages. There is typically no upfront charge for an initial consultation with a personal injury attorney.
For most personal injury cases, Philadelphia Slip and Fall Attorneys do not charge until you receive compensation, but an attorney will discuss the fee structure as part of the consultation.
Do not be victimized twice. Usually, large store chains, malls, landlords, government institutions, and other property owners carry insurance policies. Every Insurance company has a staff of lawyers to represent them. That is why lay people are often at a disadvantage if they choose not to seek legal representation. If settlement negotiations fail and you have to go to court, you can benefit from hiring an attorney who will protect your interests in litigation.
You may be more likely to get compensated if you hire an experienced Philadelphia slip and fall lawyer, or even a team of attorneys so that you can benefit from their combined legal expertise and experience.
Experienced attorneys know how to establish negligence and negotiate settlements that fairly compensate clients. Fair compensation should cover physical injuries and emotional trauma you have endured. If your case goes to trial, a competent lawyer can fight on your behalf.
When Should You Hire Slip and Fall Lawyers in Philadelphia?
When an individual suffers severe loss and damages due to slips, trips, or falls, and wishes to use the legal process to recover monetary damages, hiring a lawyer can help significantly. To seek compensation for your injuries, to prove liability, to demonstrate damages, and to reach a fair settlement, it is highly advisable to hire a lawyer with personal injury experience.
Waiting or taking the wrong initial steps could reduce the overall compensation you are entitled to or bar you from recovery altogether. As noted, there is a deadline by which you can file a personal injury lawsuit. Attorneys have experience in handling and negotiating with insurance agencies. Having a legal professional will save you time, money, and maximize any potential recovery.
So, if you have suffered a slip, trip and fall accident, contact The Law Offices of Samuel Fishman. We would be happy to offer a free initial consultation and answer all the questions you might have.