It is not uncommon for people who are injured in a slip and fall accident to find themselves facing mounting debt as medical bills start to pile up. Falls can happen everywhere, and a fall that only takes a split second to injure a person could mean a lifetime of medical issues.
Most people are unprepared for a slip and fall accident. While no one really thinks that they will be injured in such an accident, it is important to know what to do just in case. Use these tips to prepare yourself for a slip and fall accident, and remember that finding an experienced personal injury lawyer is one of the most important things that you can do in this situation.
– Make it a priority to seek medical assistance. This is important for your personal health, and it can also be helpful if you need to file a lawsuit or file a claim with an insurance company. Medical professionals can record details related to your injury to prove that you were hurt in a fall.
– The property owner should be notified about the incident immediately. A business manager, homeowner, renter or landlord needs to take an account of what occurred, and personally relaying this information to a person in charge allows the injured person to know that the property owner is aware of the situation. Information should also be recorded by any emergency medical responders. Ask for copies of incident reports for proof.
– Injuries sustained on the property of a friend or family member could lead to outbursts of anger or other strong emotional responses. Injured individuals are advised to avoid talking to a homeowner following an injury. Instead of arguing with the homeowner, focus on contacting a medical professional.
– Photographic evidence is essential for an injured person who would like to seek compensation. Not only should the injury itself be photographed, but pictures of the area where the slip and fall accident occurred should be taken as well. Focus on the features of the property that led to the fall. For example, a loose carpet can be photographed. A spill that is not properly marked with a warning sign could also be photographed. Pictures are often used to determine who was at fault when a slip and fall accident happens.
– Witnesses can be key in proving what happened during a slip and fall accident. If you notice witnesses at the scene, ask them for their name, address and phone number.
– Clothing and shoes may be used as evidence during the case. To ensure that this potential evidence is kept safe, remove your clothing as soon as you have a change of clothes and place both your clothing items and shoes into a plastic container. Store these items in a safe place to avoid damage or contamination.
– Do not talk to anyone from an insurance company without first hiring a legal representative. The insurance company will try to settle a claim at a low amount. Attorneys are trained to get you the compensation that you deserve.
Getting Help After a Slip & Fall Accident
If you have been injured as the result of a slip and fall accident, you need to have an experienced personal injury lawyer on your side. Medical bills that start to pile up after you are injured are just the start of expenses related to your injury. Loss of income and a loss of quality of life can also be suffered. You may feel that hiring a lawyer is too expensive, but attorneys offer potential clients a free consultation to discuss the case.
Our Slip & Fall Articles & Resources
External Slip & Fall Resources