How Can A Boat Accident Attorney Help You?
If you have ever been injured in a severe boat accident, you must talk to Philadelphia Boat Accident Lawyer at ‘The Law Offices Samuel Fishman’. Call (215)-464-4600
and book a free case evaluation.
Our lawyers follow the strategic legal approach for boat accident cases and can assist in getting maximum monetary benefits. Samuel Fishman has been handling such cases for more than 25 years and can provide excellent legal assistance. Our injury lawyers will travel the extra mile to win your injury claim.
Boating accidents are relatively common in the U.S., and there are federal and state laws in place regarding boat accidents. However, maritime laws differ in many ways from common rules. Understanding the difference between these laws is very important in calculating your damages.
A boating accident case can often become complicated and difficult to understand. This is why you should hire an experienced lawyer to handle your boat accident case. We take care of every legal need of our clients to not have to suffer more due to their injuries and damages in a boat accident.
The most common damages as a result of boating accidents are:
- Medical expenses
- Loss of pay due to injury
- Loss of personal property
- Physical Pain
- Mental suffering
A specialized Boating Accidents Attorney that Philadelphia residents trust will help you understand the laws related to your boating accident. They will also be able to steer your case in the right direction.
The Legalities of Fighting A Boating Injury Claim
When someone suffers injury due to their own mistake, they are usually not eligible for compensation. However, suppose someone is injured due to the fault of another party. In that case, it is their right to receive fair compensation for any damages, such as medical bills or potential lost income due to injury.
One of the significant causes of boating accidents is negligence and recklessness. In such scenarios, a Boating Accidents Attorney that Philadelphia residents rely on can establish a case against the offender for:
- Sailing under the influence
- Lack of boat safety
- Personal Injuries
- Property damage
How Can an Attorney Help Your Case in a Boating Accident?
Most boating attorneys handle both personal injury and maritime claims, making them well-versed in-laws about both your injury and your boating accident.
An experienced attorney can determine which laws apply to your case and gather all the necessary evidence to recover the most for your case. Before filing your claim, they will determine who is responsible for the loss and calculate the possible compensation amount. Then, they will gather the necessary documents required to settle your case in the courtroom.
Finding the right law firm similarly can take time and energy, but it will pay off when choosing the best attorney possible to obtain the maximum compensation for your case.
How to Hire an Experienced Boating Accidents Lawyer that Philadelphia Residents Love:
- Research local attorneys on the internet. You can find reviews from previous clients and select the lawyer that seems the most qualified to handle your claim.
- Contact people you know who have been involved in boating accidents in the past. They can recommend a lawyer and tell you everything they did right or wrong during their experience.
- Talking to multiple lawyers individually can give you first-hand experience of what to expect from that attorney. Come prepared with a set of questions and look for a lawyer who has experience with cases similar to yours.
- Consult a lawyer directory for a free consultation.
- Ask for a reference from other attorneys that you know. Many attorneys have peers who excel in many different specializations.
- You can also ask a third party to carry out a background check on a few different attorneys, which can reveal information that you could not get otherwise.
How to Select an Efficient Boat Accident Lawyer:
Once you have collected information from multiple attorneys, the next step is choosing the attorney who is right for you and your case. While it may be a complicated process, it is essential to choose the best lawyer possible. If you hire any random attorney without checking their history of boat accident cases and reviews, then you run the risk of losing the case or not receiving the full amount of compensation you are entitled to.
One of the most important things to consider is that the attorney you choose has previous experience in similar cases. As boating accidents are not very common, experience helps an attorney in establishing facts and determining compensation. An attorney who has experience in boating accidents will be well-versed in maritime law, which is very important in boating cases.
Some general guidelines and factors to choosing a boat accident attorney:
- Research: It is imperative to conduct a market survey of similar lawyers and read customer reviews.
- Honest Discussion: Hiding facts will not only mislead your attorney but also weaken the case. Choose an attorney with whom you are comfortable speaking openly and honestly about your accident.
- Relationship with The Lawyer: For a case to succeed, it is very important to feel comfortable with your attorney. A good Philadelphia Boating Accidents Lawyer will be patient, curious, and understanding.
- Unspoken Behavior: When you first go to a law firm for the initial interview, make sure to observe the surrounding people. Whether it is the attorney or their assistants, the way they treat other people can tell you a lot about how your experience will be.
- Fees and How Much They Charge: This is one of the most important things that should be reviewed before you hire any lawyer. See how much they will charge and whether it is on a contingency basis. Many attorneys charge only after winning the case. Also, clarify if there are any hidden fees or charges.
Only sign the contract with a law firm when all your doubts have been cleared and all your questions have been answered.
The Process of Filing a Boat Accident Injury Claim
Once you have chosen the best attorney for your case, the process of filing a claim begins. Generally, any law firm abides by the following steps after beginning a new case:
Documentation– During this period, a law firm collects documents related to the accident. This can include:
- Medical reports
- Insurance claims
- Medical bills
- Witness documents
- Boating documents
Collecting these documents will help to understanding your case, including your level of injury and the potential compensation you can recover.
Investigation– Once they have collected your documents, the attorneys will begin the investigation. It is necessary to run a thorough investigation to establish the facts of the case. Generally, a lawyer will try to find any dashcam recordings, local security camera footage, and any police reports filed.
A good investigation helps make a strong case and increases your chances of winning maximum compensation for your case.
Negotiation– Before taking the case to a courtroom, the attorney will try to speak to the other party informally to agree upon a settlement.
They will propose and agree upon a compensation amount for the victim and reach a settlement before filing a lawsuit. If both parties agree to the compensation, there will be documentation of the agreement, the victim will receive the agreed amount, and the case will not proceed to a courtroom.
If the parties cannot agree or the party at fault refuses to pay the settlement, then the case will go to trial. Contacting a Boating Accidents Lawyer that Philadelphia residents can trust will help you settle your case efficiently.
The following are common causes of boating accidents.
Accident due to negligence
A boater is held negligent under the following circumstances:
- Speeding while driving the boat and hitting a wave
- Ignoring weather forecast and sailing in bad weather
- Colliding with propellers
- Racing at a very high speed
- Lack of sufficient safety equipment on board
- Bumping into other boats or hard surfaces
- Not being aware of the sailing rules
- Overloading the boat with more passengers than it can accommodate
Sailing while intoxicated
As per the state laws of sailing, it is illegal to be operating a boat while you are under the influence of drugs or alcohol. A person is deemed intoxicated if their blood alcohol level is found to be more or equal to 0.08%.
Any sailor who is suspected of being intoxicated has to go through a test to prove they are sober. If the sailor refuses the tests, their permit and license may be revoked.
Depending on the state laws, a sailor who is found guilty of being under the influence of intoxication can be fined or even jailed for an extended period.
Under U.S. law, any individual who intentionally sails a boat recklessly without considering their safety or those around them can be punished under a first-degree crime. When you approach a Philadelphia Boating Accidents lawyer, they will go through the case details to establish if there was any intentional carelessness.
According to maritime laws, a boat should keep specific safety equipment on board, such as a diver down flag, a first aid box, and life jackets and tubes. Additionally, there are sailing and boating rules that you must be aware of before acquiring a boating license.
After repeated citations about being careless while sailing, a person will be barred from sailing until they complete a boating education course.
Accidents on a Jet Ski
Because of a jet ski’s size and limitations, the person involved in a jet ski accident can be more seriously injured than someone who suffers a regular boating accident.
The reasons for a jet ski accident are usually either a device malfunction or due to the rider’s negligence. In device failure cases, the compensation can be claimed from the manufacturer, seller, or owner of the jet ski. This is done on a case-by-case basis, which is why it is a good idea to proceed with an attorney’s help.
Contact an experienced boat accident lawyer for appropriate legal help.
At The Law Offices of Samuel Fishman, we have highly experienced lawyers trusted by a substantial ratio of Philadelphians. Our unique strategy, the approach towards every boat injury claim, end to end assistance until you receive the compensation is impeccable. Book your first free consultation and discuss your legal concerns.